Significant prizes and accomplishments
- Professor Kai Sipilä, Vice President, Strategic Research, was the first Finn to be awarded the prestigious Johannes Linneborn Prize for his leadership in promoting biomass as a sustainable energy source within the European Union and worldwide.
- Research Professor Johanna Ivaska was awarded one of the biggest Nordic awards within the field of biomedicine, the Anders Jahre Prize for Young Scientists, for her accomplishments in cancer cell research.
- The Association of Automotive Technical Societies in Finland (SATL) gave the Automotive Technician of the Year award to Nils-Olof Nylund, Research Professor in Traffic Energy Use and Engine Technology at VTT, for his accomplishments in research on vehicle emissions and alternative energy sources.
- The Finnish Society of Automation gave the Automation Award 2011 to the VTT and Semantum Oy working group that has been developing the simulation integration platform Simantics.
- A team of researchers from VTT and Åbo Akademi University received the Jasper Mardon Award 2011 at the annual conference of paper manufacturers in New Zealand.
- VTT’s Research Professor Kim Wallin – as the first non-American – was presented with the Award of Merit by the global standardisation agency ASTM International Committee, for exceptional and sustained contributions to fracture mechanics within Committee E08 on Fatigue and Fracture.
- The Celtic Excellence Award in Gold was given to WINNER+, a project that developed future key technologies for mobile phone systems, in which VTT was involved.
- The research group on inkjet printing was granted an award for remarkable scientific achievement and industrially significant and commercially viable research on substrates for digital printing.
- The European Physical Society presented VTT Research Scientist Leena Aho-Mantila with an award intended for postgraduate students for her research on fusion plasma.
Jussi Manninen, Development Manager, was granted the VTT Award 2011 for his achievements in the promotion of co-operation within the VTT Group.
- For the second year in a row, VTT was the favourite employer among technology students in the employer image study conducted by Universum.
- VTT’s communications award 2011 was given to Juhani Laurikko, Senior Scientist, for his meritorious and active communications efforts.
- President and CEO Erkki KM Leppävuori was appointed member of the Research and Innovation Council of Finland.