4 June 2009 at 9:00 - 17.00
Seminar on Technologies for Personal Health
Helsinki University of Technology, TUAS building, room TU1, Otaniementie 17, Espoo (Otaniemi)
This seminar will give an overview of technologies developed for assisting people in their everyday life to take care of their health. Application areas range from monitoring activity and safety of elderly people and cardiac outpatients, to life-style coaching for young people. The presenters are from various companies and institutes from Spain, France and Finland who participated in the Nuadu project (2006 - 2009), led by Philips and resorting under the Eureka / ITEA programme.
The project originally set out to explore the opportunities of using networked services to provide cost-effective and efficient healthcare and wellness services. As health care costs keep rising due to ageing population, expensive care of chronic illnesses and a rising number of life-style related diseases, the project particularly aimed to find solutions to enable people to monitor and care for their own health. The technologies developed in the project were tested in pilot sites in Spain, France, The Netherlands and Finland focusing on elderly care (E, F), chronic patient monitoring (E), rehabilitation (NL), occupational health (FIN) and life-style coaching (E, FIN). The solutions comprised of advanced web and mobile technologies including sensor networks and monitoring techniques using activity sensing and camera monitoring, among others. This seminar will present the technologies as well as the evaluation results of the pilot sites.
9:00 Welcome & introduction
- Keynote: The role of Personal Health Systems to improve public health (speaker TBC)
- Nuadu project overview - umbrella and scenario for Nuadu, pilot sites, Mounir Mokhtari, INT, France
9:50 Ambient assisted living
- Telemedicine applications in community living environment, Juliette Boulanger-Reerink, Medetic, France
- Adaptive Notification System for Assisted Living Homes, Mahmoud Ghorbel, Alcatel-Lucent, France
- Monitoring elderly people by means of video, Laurent Lucat, CEA-List, France
- Activity monitoring with the Vivago wrist band, Ari Nikkola, Vivago, Finland
11:30 Chronic disease management – case cardiovascular disease
- CAP project – cardiac rehabilitation by mobile phone, Jukka Salminen, Nokia, Finland
- Tunewalk – guided exercising for cardiac patients, Jussi Mattila, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
12:10 Lunch & demonstrators
13:10 Supporting healthy living – health promotion and fitness
- VITA! – A pilot experience for the comprehensive promotion of healthy lifestyles in a university setting, Teresa Meneu, ITACA, Spain
- WebTrainer and MobileCoach, Joni Kettunen, Firstbeat, Finland
- SelfRelax – evaluation of a mobile relaxation application, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, speaker TBC
- Diet management and monitoring – Hyperfit and NutritionCode, Pertti Väisänen,Tuulia, Finland
14:30 Break & demonstrators
15:00 Workplace health promotion - Occupational health services
- Occupational health services - Finnish pilot overview, Timo Leino, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
- Integration of Nuadu technologies into a personal health system, Elina Mattila, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Stakeholders in occupational health services, Ari-Matti Auvinen, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
- Nuadu Portal and Personal Health Record, Jaakko Lähteenmäki, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Finnish pilot usability research, Aino Ahtinen, Nokia/VTT, Finland
16:40 Closing remarks
Please register for the seminar by 1st June 2009 to ms Taina Toivonen,
email: email@example.com, or tel. +358 020 722 3755.
Participation in the seminar is free of charge (lunch not included).