Continuous improvement of production process with virtual rolling quality system
Customer: Rautaruukki Oyj
Challenge: Sheet metal industry customers require good strip dimensions accuracy and uniformity of mechanical properties. The production of over 10 000 different, high quality steel grade/dimension combinations puts a lot of pressure on the rolling process.
Solution: VTT and Rautaruukki have created a virtual rolling system to monitor and analyse the production process. The system uses virtual sensors and models to calculate quality features based on process information and analysed history data. Automation system is continuously updated after analysis.
- 90 % faster development of new steel products.
- 80 % less breakdowns.
- Increased capacity, rolling efficiency, dimensional ranges and strength.
- Better quality and delivery reliability.
- More accurate prediction of new steel grades’ processability and dimensions.
- Continuous improvements to the setup models of the automation system.
Key Account Manager
+358 20 722 5591