In the forest industry, sustainable development addresses issues such as renewable raw materials, recyclable products, reduced energy consumption, the use of biofuels and product safety. In research, critical issues concerning sustainable development are related to fibre-based raw materials and the questions of energy consumption as well as various emissions and effluents. Product safety is nowadays an issue also for printing papers, not only for food packaging materials.
VTT provides the forest industry with the necessary background facts and future vision for strategic planning. We also offer expertise and advice on how to emphasize sustainable development in everyday production and how to fulfill various legal requirements.
Here are some examples of our typical contract works and applications:
- Sustainability assessment: environmental, social and economical evaluation combined
- Life-Cycle Assessment with critical reviews and studies
- Indicators e.g carbon footprint and carbon flow calculations
- Environmental Product Declaration (EDP) based on the ISO 14040 standards
- Eco-Design -approach
- Troubleshooting, benchmarking
- Evaluating the suitability of materials for food contact
- Evaluating technology development projects based on sustainability principles
- Sustainability workshops and customized training
We offer broad range of research based sustainability services integrated with VTT's diverse technological expertise. Please, contact us for further info and discussion.
040 522 7108